T. + 188.8.131.52.11.25
F. + 184.108.40.206.31.36
T. + 58.212.285.66.19
F. + 58.212.285.66.19
Bar of Paris
Bar of Venezuela
Add to your Outlook
Alfredo De Jesús O., Ph.D.
email@example.com Printable Version
• Sorbonne University - Paris II
Ph.D. in Transnational Law and Arbitration
Summa cum laude, 2010
• University of Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne
Master (D.E.A.) in Commercial and Economic Law
• University of Paris II Panthéon-Assas
Master (D.E.A.) in General Private Law
• Universidad Católica Andrés Bello
Cum laude, 2002
Dr. Alfredo De Jesús O., is an acknowledged expert in international arbitration, contract, and investment law. He advises and represents major corporations, States and state-owned entities in a wide array of international commercial and investment disputes. He also advises clients on general contract and investment law matters.
Dr. De Jesús O., has intervened in numerous capacities in international proceedings under the auspices of some of the leading arbitral institutions, including the ICC, ICSID and the LCIA, as well as in ad-hoc arbitrations under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules. He has also intervened in state court proceedings in Europe and the Americas. He has been involved in matters concerning the Agro-industrial, Banking and Financial Services, Construction and Infrastructure, Energy (Oil & Gas and Electricity), Information Technology, Military Procurement, Mining and Telecommunications sectors, to name a few.
Prior to obtaining his Ph.D., Dr. De Jesús O., practiced in the International Arbitration Group in the Paris office of a leading global law firm. Before that, he was a Partner of a Venezuelan litigation and public procurement boutique in Caracas. He has also trained at the Secretariat of the ICC International Court of Arbitration in Paris and at the International Arbitration and Latin American Practice groups of other leading law firms in New York, Paris and São Paulo.
Dr. De Jesús O., is a listed arbitrator in some of the leading arbitral institutions in Europe and the Americas.
Pending or recent arbitration or court proceedings include:
• Advisor to a South American Government concerning numerous international arbitration proceedings pending before the ICC, ICSID and ICSID’s Additional Facility, and involving several billion US dollars.
• Co-Lead Counsel to a South American company in a US$ 10 million ICC construction dispute against an Asian state owned multinational.
• Co-Lead Counsel in a financial fraud dispute to a South American State in three parallel proceedings before the commercial courts and the Office of the Prosecutor of a European country. The amount in dispute is approximately US$ 1.5 billion.
• Co-Lead Counsel in an ICC arbitration of a Latin American state-owned entity against a European multinational arising from the exploitation of a precious metal mine. The amount in dispute exceeded US$ 450 million.
• Counsel in an UNCITRAL ad hoc arbitration of a Latin American state-owned entity against a European multinational arising from the exploitation of a metallic mineral mine. The amount in dispute exceeded US$ 650 million.
Dr. Alfredo De Jesús O., currently lectures on International Arbitration and Transnational Law in the LLM in Arbitration and International Business Law LLM at the University of Versailles Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines and in the in International Business Law at the University of Paris XI-Paris Sud.
Dr. De Jesús O., has been a visiting professor or lecturer at the University of Houston Law Centre (USA), the University of Dundee - CEPMLP Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy (UK), the University of Paris II Panthéon-Assas, the University of Paris III Sorbonne Nouvelle and the University of Havre (France), the Complutense University of Madrid (Spain), the University of the Pacific (Peru), the University of Rosario (Colombia), the University of Monterrey and the University of the Americas (Mexico) and the Andrés Bello Catholic University and the Central University of Venezuela (Venezuela).
Dr. De Jesús O., is an Associate Member of the ICC Institute of World Business Law, a Member of the ICC Latin American Arbitration Group, the Representative for Latin America of the LCIA Young International Arbitration Group, the Founder and Deputy Secretary General of the Venezuelan Arbitration Committee and a Member of the Board of Reporters of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration. He is also a member of several other arbitration and international law think-tanks in Europe, Latin America and the USA and regularly speaks at conferences in specialized fields of transnational dispute resolution.
• Author of a Ph.D. thesis on "The Assignment of International Contracts. A Contribution to Transnational Contract Law", directed by Professor Denis Mazeaud, 400 pages, Paris, 2010 (Forthcoming, 2014).
The thesis was awarded the special mention très honorable avec félicitacions, by a jury chaired by Professor Eric Loquin and composed of Professors Denis Mazeaud, Thomas Clay, Rozen Noguellou, Jean-Baptiste Racine and Christian Larroumet.
• Author of two books on the law of contracts and obligations (Caracas, 2002).
• Member of the Editorial Board of three books related to international arbitration, codification and general private law, published in Bogotá (2006), Caracas (2005) and Paris (2004).
• Co-Editor of the TPLI Series on Transnational Petroleum Law.
• Member of the Peer Review Board of the ICSID Review – Foreign Investment Law Journal.
• General Editor of the Bulletin of the Venezuelan Arbitration Committee.
• Author of the regular column on arbitration of Venezuela's Supreme Court Law Journal.
• Author of the Venezuelan arbitration case law digest of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration and Kluwerarbitration.com
• Author of more than 35 articles and book chapters, and more than 70 case law comments and annotations on international arbitration, international law and general private law, published in specialized law journals in over 14 countries in Europe and the Americas.
• Member of the Editorial Board of the Law Review of the University of Rosario (Colombia) and of the Latin American Journal for Mediation and Arbitration (Mexico).
SELECTED PROFESSIONAL AND BUSINESS ACTIVITIES
• Associate Member, ICC Institute of World Business Law
• Member, ICC Latin American Arbitration Group
• Representative for Latin America, LCIA Young International Arbitration Group
• Founder and Deputy Secretary General, Venezuelan Arbitration Committee
• Venezuelan Reporter, Institute for Transnational Arbitration
• Founding Member, Transnational Petroleum Law Institute
• Member of the Steering Committee, Groupe de Beaune
• Member of the Board of Directors, French-Venezuelan Chamber of Commerce
• Secretary General, Andres Bello Association of French and Latin American Lawyers
• Member, International Arbitration Institute
• Member of the Advisory Board, Argentinean Arbitration Committee
• Member, Latin American Arbitration Association
• Member, IBA Arbitration Committee
• Member, Brazilian Arbitration Committee
• Member, French Arbitration Committee
• Member, Spanish Arbitration Club
• Member, Swiss Arbitration Association
• Member, American Association of International Private Law
• Member, ICC Young Arbitration Forum
• Member, ICDR Young & International
• Member, Comparative Law Society
• Member, Henri Capitant Association
• The New World Order of Economic Relations in the Light of Arbitral Jurisprudence (Position Paper)
• The Prodigious Story of the Lex Petrolea and the Rhinoceros. Philosophical Aspects of the Transnational Legal Order of the Petroleum Society
• Overview of Recent Developments in Investment Arbitration and the Oil & Gas industry in Venezuela
• La Autonomía del Arbitraje Comercial Internacional a la hora del Constitucionalización del Arbitraje en América Latina
• London Court of International Arbitration's YIAG Regional Representatives for Latin America
• Appointment to the Board of Directors of the French Venezuelan Chamber of Commerce
• Energy scholars assess Lex Petrolea in University of Houston Law Center discussion
• Venezuelan sets up Paris-Caracas boutique (Global Arbitration Review)