• Sorbonne University - Paris II
Ph.D. in Transnational Law and Arbitration
Summa cum laude, 2010
• University of Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne
Master (D.E.A.) in Commercial and Economic Law, 2004
• University of Paris II Panthéon-Assas
Master (D.E.A.) in General Private Law, 2003
• Universidad Católica Andrés Bello
Abogado Cum laude, 2002
F + 220.127.116.11.31.36
T + 58.212.285.66.19
Bar of Paris Bar of Venezuela
Dr. Alfredo De Jesús O., is a transnational attorney, arbitrator and academic with a particular focus on the oil and gas, mining and construction industries.
An acknowledged expert in transnational arbitration, international, contract, and investment law, Dr. De Jesús O., regularly advices and represents States, state entities, corporations, entrepreneurs and other law firms in a wide array of transnational disputes. He also advises and represents clients on general contract, investment law and international public law matters and transactions.
He has been involved in numerous capacities in over 30 transnational arbitration proceedings under the Rules of Arbitration of the ICC, ICSID, ICSID’s Additional Facility, LCIA and UNCITRAL and in several negotiations and transactions involving parties from all over the world. He has also intervened in state court proceedings in Europe and the Americas. While focusing primarily on the oil and gas, mining and construction industries, he also intervenes in other industries and sectors of the economy such as the Agro-industrial, Financial, Fashion, Healthcare, Technology, Military and Telecommunications sectors.
Prior to obtaining his Ph.D., Dr. De Jesús O., practiced in the International Arbitration Group in the Paris office of a leading global law firm. Before that, he was a Partner of a Venezuelan litigation and public procurement boutique in Caracas. He has also trained at the Secretariat of the ICC International Court of Arbitration in Paris and at the International Arbitration and Latin American Practice groups of other leading law firms in New York, Paris and São Paulo.
Dr. De Jesús O., is a listed arbitrator in numerous arbitral institutions and is a Member of the Board of Directors and Representative in France of the French-Venezuelan Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture (UCCIFE-Business France)
Pending or recent arbitration or court proceedings include:
• Of Counsel to the Office of the Attorney General of a Latin American State in several ad-hoc and institutional transnational commercial and Investor-State arbitration proceedings under the rules of arbitration of the ICC, ICSID, ICSID’s Additional Facility and UNCITRAL and involving several billion US dollars.
• Of Counsel to the Office of the Attorney General of a Latin American State in relation to the interpretation, application and termination of bilateral and multilateral international treaties.
• Co-Lead Counsel in a financial fraud dispute to a South American State in three parallel proceedings before the commercial courts and the Office of the Prosecutor of a European country. The amount in dispute is approximately US$ 1.5 billion.
• Co-Counsel to a Latin American State in an ICSID BIT arbitration brought by an investorover the alleged expropriation of its investments in the manufacturing sector. The amount in dispute exceeds US$ 1.2 billion.
• Co-Counsel to a Latin American State in an ad-hoc arbitration with a military contractor over a contract to refurbish two warships. The total amount in dispute exceeds US$ 450 million.
• Co-Counsel to a Latin American State in an ICSID BIT arbitration brought by an investorover the alleged expropriation of its investments in the agro-industrial sector. The amount in dispute is approximately US$ 230 million.
• Co-Counsel to a Latin American State in an ICSID BIT claim brought by an foreign investor over the alleged expropriation of its rights of exploration and explotaiton of natural resources. The amount in dispute is approximately US$ 150 million.
• Co-Lead Counsel in an ICC arbitration of a Latin American state-owned entity against a European multinational arising from the exploration and exploitation of natural resources. The total amount in dispute exceeded US$ 450 million.
• Co-Counsel in an UNCITRAL ad hoc arbitration to a Latin American state-owned entity against a European multinational arising from the exploitation of a metallic mineral mine. The amount in dispute exceeded US$ 650 million.
• Co-Lead Counsel to a Latin American company in an ICC arbitration against an Asian state-owned multinational of the construction and infrastructure sector for breach of contract. The amount in dispute was approximately US$ 10 million.
• Co-Lead Counsel to a Latin American state-owned company in two international arbitration proceedings, ad-hoc and before the ICC, brought by two European service providers. The amount in dispute is approximately US$ 2.5 million.
An Associate Member of the CREDIMI-CNRS, Centre de recherche sur le droit des marchés et des investissements internationaux, the mixed research unit of the French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS) and the University of Burgundy and an Honorary Associate of the Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy - CEPMLP - of the University of Dundee, Dr. De Jesús O., is actively involved in several thinktanks around the world, working primarily on the New World Order of Economic Relations, Transnational Law, Lex Mercatoria, Lex Petrolea and Transnational Arbitration.
Dr. De Jesús O., is an Adjunct Professor of Transnational Petroleum Law and Arbitration in the LLM in International Business Law at University of Paris XI Paris-Sud and of Transnational Law and Arbitration in the LLM in Arbitration and International Business Law at the University of Versailles Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines.
He has also taught Transnational Petroleum Law and Arbitration as a Guest Lecturer at the Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy (CEPMLP) of the University of Dundee, at the Environment, Energy & Natural Resources Center (EENR) of the University of Houston, and at the Paris Institute of Political Sciences (Sciences Po Paris). He has also been a Visiting Lecturer on Transnational Law and Arbitration at the University of Paris II Panthéon-Assas and the University of Paris III Sorbonne Nouvelle (France), the Complutense University of Madrid (Spain), the Pontifical Catholic University of Chili (Chili), the University of Havana (Cuba), the University of the Pacific (Peru), the University of Rosario (Colombia), the University of Monterrey (Mexico) and the Andrés Bello Catholic University and the Central University of Venezuela (Venezuela), among others
He is a Member of the Steering Committee of the Groupe de Beaune, a Director of the Transnational Petroleum Law Institute, a Member of the ICC Latin American Arbitration Group, an Associate Member of the ICC Institute of World Business Law, a Representative for Latin America of the LCIA Young International Arbitration Group, a Member of the Peer Review Board of the ICSID Review – Foreign Investment Law Journal, a Member of the Groupe de Travail Contrats Internationaux (GTCI) and a Member of the Board of Reporters of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration (ITA). He regularly speaks at conferences on transnational dispute resolution, transnational law and transnational petroleum law.
• Author of a Ph.D. thesis on "The Assignment of International Contracts. A Contribution to Transnational Contract Law", directed by Professor Denis Mazeaud, 400 pages, Paris, 2010 (Forthcoming, CREDIMI-CNRS, 2015).
The thesis was unanimously recognized with the special mention très honorable avec félicitacions, proposition d'un prix de thèse et publication, the highest distinction granted by French universities, by a jury chaired by Professor Eric Loquin and composed of Professors Denis Mazeaud, Thomas Clay, Rozen Noguellou, Jean-Baptiste Racine and Christian Larroumet.
• Co-Editor of the TPLI Series on Transnational Petroleum Law.
• Member of the Peer Review Board of the ICSID Review – Foreign Investment Law Journal.
• Author of two books on the law of contracts and obligations (Caracas, 2002).
• Member of the Editorial Board of three books related to international arbitration, codification and private law, published in Bogotá (2006), Caracas (2005) and Paris (2004).
• Author of more than 35 articles, position papers and book chapters, and more than 70 case law comments and annotations on international arbitration, international law and general private law, published in specialized law journals in over 14 countries in Europe and the Americas.
• Author of the Venezuelan arbitration case law digest of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration and Kluwerarbitration.com
SELECTED bUSINESS, PROFESSIONAL AND ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES
• Member of the Board of Directors, French-Venezuelan Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture (UCCIFE-UBIFRANCE)
• Associate Member, CREDIMI - Centre de recherche sur le droit des marchés et des investissements internationaux (CNRS-University of Burgundy)
• Honorary Associate, CEPMLP - Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy (University of Dundee)
• Member of the Steering Committee, Groupe de Beaune
• Founder and Co-Director, TPLI - Transnational Petroleum Law Institute
• Member, ICC Latin American Arbitration Group
• Representative for Latin America, LCIA Young International Arbitration Group
• Venezuelan Reporter, Institute for Transnational Arbitration
• Contributor, ITA Latin American Arbitration Forum (ITAFOR)
• Member, Association for International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
• Member, International Arbitration Institute
• Founder and Deputy Secretary General, Venezuelan Arbitration Committee
• Vice-President, Andres Bello Association of French and Latin American Lawyers
• Member of the Advisory Board, Argentinean Arbitration Committee
• Member, Latin American Arbitration Association
• Member, Brazilian Arbitration Committee
• Member, French Arbitration Committee
• Member, Spanish Arbitration Club
• Member, Swiss Arbitration Association
• Member, American Association of International Private Law
• Member, ICC Young Arbitration Forum
• Member, ICDR Young & International
• Member, Comparative Law Society
• Member, Henri Capitant Association